Fareham back at it again

Fareham keeper Luke Douglas
Fareham keeper Luke Douglas
Ryan Pennery netted for Moneyfields. Picture: Neil Marshall (171026-11)

Trophy dream is over for Moneys

Have your say

FAREHAM TOWN staged another thrilling comeback to draw 2-2 with Laverstock & Ford in the Wessex League premier division.

After denying rivals Hayling United, when hitting back from two down to level on Saturday, Matt Parr’s young side were at it again last night.

Parr recalled fit-again skipper Matt Jones, while the struggling visitors picked from a full squad, desperate for a win to move out of the bottom three.

From the start, Fareham put pressure on their visitors and youngster Steve Cammack shot just wide.

Laverstock responded with a quality move.

Striker Dan Western forced a flying save from Reds keeper Luke Douglas, at the expense of a corner.

On 20 minutes, Jim Cuthbert and Rob Tambling created an opening for Rob Pittman, who shot inches over the top.

Laverstock responded, and Lewis Elder nipped in to power home a header.

Things went from bad to worse for the hosts, on 35 minutes.

Douglas, uncharacteristically, spilled Phil Morgan’s free-kick and before he could recover, the ball had rolled into the net, giving the visitors a 2-0 interval lead.

With Parr demanding more grit and determination for the second half, Tambling went close to pulling a goal back, with a header narrowly wide, before he then fired over.

Parr introduced substitutes, Ashley Tattershall and Jack Kirby in an effort to add some punch to his side.

However, fired-up Laverstock continued to look the better side.

Suddenly though, on 80 minutes, Fareham pulled a goal back.

Cammack darted in at the near post to meet a Wayne Boud cross and head high into the net.

And on 85 minutes, the comeback was complete.

A superb through ball from Kirby picked out Tambling, who blasted home from the edge of the area.

Parr said: ‘All credit to the lads for staging a wonderful comeback.

‘But had we taken our earlier chances, we would not have been in the position.

‘This is the second time that we have come from behind in recent matches and it shows great character from a very young side, who are still learning to live at Wessex League level.’

Fareham: Douglas; Warren, Wall, Pittman, Doswell, Jones, Boud, Cammack, Tambling, Stevens, Cuthbert. Subs: Kirby, Redman, Tattershall, Vickers, Berry.

Laverstock & Ford: Safe; Morgan, Donohue, Durry, Trythorn, Edgar, Elder, Waters, Western, Perret, Wykes. Subs: Smith, Pearse, Hoare, Murry

Referee: Wayne Thomas (Salisbury).