Fareham fight hard against Harlequins

Reds boss Matt Parr
Reds boss Matt Parr
Horndean are aiming to make Cup progress at the second attempt

Deans must take second chance in Cup... Royals will be strong

Have your say

FAREHAM TOWN manager Matt Parr praised his patched-up side after they went down to a largely undeserved 2-0 defeat at Bemerton Heath Harlequins on Saturday.

It left the Reds in eighth place in the final Wessex League premier division table.

Key midfield playmaker Danny Thompson had to be withdrawn with a groin strain just before the interval.

And Parr was already without several senior players but saw his inexperienced side do themselves proud against a Harlequins outfit who desperately needed the three points to finish second behind champions Poole Town.

Kane O’Keefe headed an opener on 35 minutes and it came as no surprise when Graham Mankin nipped in unchallenged to meet a corner and bullet home a fine header midway through the second half for 2-0.

Parr introduced a less-than-fully-fit Graham Lindsey off the substitutes bench in an effort to help breach a strong Bemerton rearguard.

But it was all too little, too late, though Lindsey did give the travelling fans something to shout about when he danced free to arrow a shot just inches wide of the far post.

‘I congratulated the lads after the match for giving me their best efforts and I couldn’t ask for more than that,’ said Parr.

‘We deserved to have got something from the match but luck was against us, particularly the second goal which came from a corner that never was and should have been a goal-kick to us.

‘But that’s football’s ups and downs so we have to get on with it and start looking forward to the summer break before building on what we have learned to take into next season.’

Pab’s N’Doye grabbed a brace and Rob Evans netted one as Moneyfields did local rivals Hayling United a huge favour, winning 3-2 in the New Forest and sending Brockenhurst to the bottom of the table.

Moneyfields end their league campaign against champions Poole Town at Dover Road this afternoon before hosting division one outfit Horndean in the Portsmouth Senior Cup final on Wednesday evening.