Gale: Hawks should have been celebrating a win

Chris Holland, right, netted to salvage a draw. Picture: Mick Young
Chris Holland, right, netted to salvage a draw. Picture: Mick Young
Wes Fogden. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Influential Fogden rewarded with Hawks deal extension

Have your say

HAWKS manager Shaun Gale could not believe his eyes as his team were held 2-2 by Hampton & Richmond Borough in the Blue Square Bet South at Westleigh Park.

Steve Ramsey and Chris Holland netted for the Hawks but Gale felt his side should have taken all three points.

And the boss was angered by a tackle which left Dan Thompson, on loan from Pompey, forced off with an injury.

Thompson, 17, thrust in for his full debut against his former club Hampton, was unable to come out for the second half, causing concern for Pompey Academy chief Andy Awford, who was watching in the stands.

Gale also believed his team should have had more than just the one penalty – which they missed.

Gale said: ‘The tackle that put Dan out of the game was a disgrace. Then we have had two blatant penalties turned down.

‘I don’t think you would see three more stone-wall penalties in a game and we have ended up with just one.

‘The players gave their absolute all and it was a game by rights we should have won.

‘We certainly didn’t get what we deserved and really and truly we should have been out of sight long before the end.

‘Everyone scraps in this league but I still can’t believe we didn’t win.’

The Hawks came from behind twice to secure a point but were guilty of a catalogue of misses.

Gale’s men were rocked on two minutes.

The static defence watched Dave Tarpey latch onto a neat pass and finish well past Lyall Beazley in the home goal.

When Jake Newton was tripped inside the area seven minutes later, Steve Ramsey could only slam his penalty against the underside of the crossbar.

Ramsey atoned when he levelled before the break with a clinical finish after he was played in by the hard-working Scott Jones.

For 20 minutes at the start of the second half, the Hawks battered Hampton, laying siege to their goal.

Substitute Ollie Palmer and Jones each squandered a couple of good chances, with Ramsey also striking the far post with a shot across goal.

It was one-way traffic but Hampton shocked the Hawks again.

They broke out and the unmarked Tobi Alabi headed them in front, from a 67th-minute corner.

The Hawks hit back to grab a point when central-defender Holland powered home a header from a corner, 14 minutes from time.

Gale was critical of the officials but pleased with the performance of his team.

He added: ‘Sam Pearce was wrestled to the floor at a corner and Scott Jones, when clean through, was virtually rugby tackled to the floor.

‘I’m massively disappointed but if the players keep showing the same desire and spirit then we won’t go far wrong for the rest of the season.

‘We went behind early but from then on I thought there was only one team going to win.

‘The game should have been dead and buried by the time they scored their second goal.

‘We didn’t have a ruthless streak and it is something that we have to find.

‘It was the best we have played for a while but lacked that killer touch.

‘We have conceded two poor goals, missed a penalty and I can’t remember a game when we have had so many chances.’

Hawks: Beazley 7; Newton 7, McDonald 6, Ryan 8, Holland 8, Pearce 8, Hinshelwood 7, Ramsey 9 (Igoe 82mins), Jones 7, Thompson 7 (Palmer 45mins – 7), Arthur 6 (Braham-Barrett 68mins – 7).

Att: 645

n Meanwhile, the Hawks have been drawn against either AFC Portchester or AFC Totton in the semi-final of the Hampshire Senior Cup. That quarter-final takes place tomorrow.