Hawks’ unbeaten run comes to an end

Ollie Palmer levelled for the Hawks     Picture: Dave Haines
Ollie Palmer levelled for the Hawks Picture: Dave Haines
Ryan Pennery netted for Moneyfields. Picture: Neil Marshall (171026-11)

Trophy dream is over for Moneys

Have your say

The Hawks’ mini-revival hit the buffers as they slumped to a disappointing 2-1 defeat by Bromley at Westleigh Park.

Lee Bradbury’s men came into the match unbeaten in their previous three matches.

But despite a leveller from Ollie Palmer, the hosts were left empty-handed on home soil.

The Hawks gave a debut to new loan signing from AFC Bournemouth, Dan Strugnell, in place of suspended central defender Ryan Woodford.

The visitors included ex-Hawks FA Cup hero Richard Pacquette, who featured in their tie at Liverpool four years ago, amongst their substitutes.

A miskick by Liam Harwood presented the Hawks with their first chance and they almost made it count.

Eddie Hutchinson dummied Tony Taggart’s low corner but Steve Ramsey fired over the bar.

Taggart whipped another effort over from inside the area soon afterwards.

Bromley’ first threat came when Joe Pigott saw his shot from the edge of the box deflected behind.

The Hawks soon returned to the attack and Hutchinson almost gave the home side an eighth-minute lead.

The midfielder met Ollie Palmer’s low ball at the near post but goalkeeper Joe Welch kept it out with his legs.

After bossing the opening stages the Hawks fell behind two minutes later.

Elliott Buchanan worked space on the left of the area before sending a low ball across for Pigott to slide in at the far post and net.

The goal against the run of play stunned the Hawks and they lost some of their early impetus.

The home side dragged themselves back level on 23 minutes, though, when Palmer latched on to a long ball over the top from Dan Butler.

The striker outpaced the visiting defenders and calmly knocked the ball past Welch.

The goal restored the early confidence to the Hawks ranks and they soon had Bromley panicking in defence.

Hutchinson sent a 20-yard effort flying past the post with the keeper at full stretch.

But the Hawks were fortunate three minutes before the break when Louie Theophanous blazed over from a good position.

Theophanous drilled in a low shot that was easily taken by Masters in the opening minutes of the second half.

Defender Ed Harris needed attention after a clash of heads in the Bromley area.

The Hawks were slow to get going and Bromley delivered a number of threatening crosses into their box.

The service to the home strikers had dried up, with the Hawks lacking creativity in midfield.

It was no surprise when the hosts fell behind for the second time in the 67th minute, with Pigott grabbing his second goal of the game.

Buchanan again provided the ball across goal and Pigott turned it in from close range.

Almost immediately, Moss failed to make contact two yards out in front of an open goal.

Blue Square Bet South

HAWKS 1 (Palmer)

BROMLEY 2 (Pigott 2)

Hawks: Masters, Hinshelwood, Butler, Hutchinson, Harris, Strugnell, Ramsey, Bailey, Palmer, Moss, Taggart. Subs: Newton, Jones, Kabba, Arthur, Nanetti.

Bromley: Welch, Ming, Patterson, Fuseini, Swaibu, Harwood, Finn, Waldren, Pigott, Buchanan, Theophanous. Subs: Gillman, Rhule, Jones, Joseph-Dubois, Pacquette.

Referee: I Cooper (Rochester).