Hero Green seals Moneys triumph

Warren Hunt was on target for Moneyfields. Picture: Mick Young (123275-04)
Warren Hunt was on target for Moneyfields. Picture: Mick Young (123275-04)
Ryan Pennery netted for Moneyfields. Picture: Neil Marshall (171026-11)

Trophy dream is over for Moneys

Have your say

Stuart Green was the hero as Moneyfields came from behind to defeat Fawley at the Waterside last night.

Green netted moments before the final whistle to grab all three points in the Wessex League premier division showdown.

Moneys hitman Warren Hunt had cancelled out Ben Murphy’s opener on the stroke of half-time.

Miles Rutherford made 
a change to the side that 
beat Odd Down in the FA Vase.

Dan Gauntlett was drafted in to replace striker Steve Hutchings, who is away on holiday and is likely to miss the derby with AFC Portchester on Saturday.

In freezing conditions at the Waterside, Moneys got stuck in from the start – with both Green and Hunt going close to an opener.

But on 15 minutes – and after surviving an onslaught from their visitors – the Oilmen put together a slick move to take the lead.

Charlie Willett’s pass set up Murphy, who turned and beat Cameron Scott from close range.

As play resumed, Murphy chased a long ball out of defence and shrugged off the challenge of Jack Lee to power in another shot.

But Scott was equal to it this time, producing an excellent stop with his outstretched leg.

At the other end, Hunt and Rob Evans did well to open up the hosts’ defence and put Green in.

But his finish did not trouble Fawley keeper George Passingham.

On 40 minutes, Moneyfields wasted a glorious chance to level.

Evans curled in a cross that Lee met with a header – but the ball looped over an empty net with Passingham grounded.

Moments before the referee brought the half to a close, Moneyfields did get the goal they deserved.

Hunt got on the end of an Adrian Brockway cross to turn the ball in at the far post.

On 50 minutes, another superb cross from Brockway was met by Gauntlett.

And his header was destined for the net until Passingham managed to touch the ball over.

Gauntlett must have thought his luck was out when he headed Conor Bailey’s corner against the crossbar.

Hunt wasn’t having much fortune, either.

He took Jake Raine’s pass in his stride only to slip as he lined up a finish and spoon the ball over.

Gauntlett drove another chance over as Moneys continued to struggle to make their dominance count – despite being camped in the Fawley half.

That was until moments before the final whistle when Green met an Evans cross to fire home a well-deserved winner from 10 yards.

Meanwhile, Moneyfields have been ordered to pay back the FA Cup prize money they earned this season.

Hutchings played for Rutherford’s men in the competition.

But Moneys did not have international clearance to field the striker following his return from Aussie club Shepparton United.

As a result, they must hand back £3,200.

FAWLEY: Passingham, Gott, Ley, Parnell, Lucas, Lane, Edwards, Percival, Murphy, Turner, Willett. Subs: Molyneaux, Carter, Keating, Bolton, Earl

MONEYFIELDS: Scott, Evans, Bailey, Lee, Rackley, Morgan, Raine, Green, Gauntlett, Hunt, Brockway. Subs: Seiden, Glen, Pashley