Parr gutted as Badgers run riot at Cams Alders

Fareham boss Matt Parr
Fareham boss Matt Parr
Theo Lewis scored for the Hawks in the 38th minute at Wealdstone. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Good show on the road as Hawks impress to beat Wealdstone

Have your say

Matt Parr bemoaned a lack of quality in his Fareham ranks as rampant Brockenhurst won the Wessex League premier division clash 4-0 at Cams Alders last night.

Former Hawks striker Dave Wakefield lashed the lowly Badgers into a surprise lead.

And from then on the Reds came up short in their bid to get back into the match, shipping two more goals before the break and another late on.

Parr said: ‘We lacked the quality to get ourselves back into the match after going behind and Brockenhurst took over to punish us.

‘I’ll be looking for a bit more effort and desire in our closing matches this season.’

The basement-battling Badgers arrived at Cams Alders hunting for points to preserve their premier division status.

Meanwhile, Parr’s Fareham were still eying a top-10 finish and intent on finishing the season in style.

From the start, Parr’s Reds pushed forward looking for an early breakthrough with Bryn McKie and Graham Lindsey both going close.

However, on 15 minutes and against the run of play, Wakefield took aim from 25 yards and rifled Brockenhurst ahead.

The shellshocked hosts lost the plot briefly but at that stage the visitors didn’t look likely to double their advantage, so inept were their efforts in front of goal.

Brockenhurst striker Luke Watts somehow failed to turn the easiest of chances past Fareham keeper Tony Harrop, as did Justin Keeler on 35 minutes.

Flurry of activity over and the Reds once again took command.

But chasing an equaliser they foolishly left the back door ajar and Mark Barker was in to blast a shot past the helpless Harrop.

On the stroke of half-time things went from bad to worse for Fareham.

Barker was upended in the box and up stepped Warren Kenna to blast home a third.

The hosts wasted a glorious chance to pull a goal back on 50 minutes, with Mark Cotton heading wide of an empty net.

And although Nathan Kirby and McKie went close, their efforts were in vain.

Brockenhurst seized on an opportunity late on to make a quick break that left Kenna free to easily head a fourth at the far post.

FAREHAM: Harrop, Martin, Cuthbert, Wood, Kirby, Hayes, Boud, McKie, Lindsey, Cotton, Spurway. Subs: Spears, Dark, Warren, Buckland, Byrne. BROCKENHURST: O’Rorke, Bartlett, Deney, Gilbert, Tate, Mead, Wakefield, Watts, Keeler, Kenna, Barker. Subs: Malloy, Todd, Morse, Friedman.