Pike hits out after Gosport victory

Justin Bennett nods home Gosport's third goal. Picture: Ian Hargreaves  (121315-6)
Justin Bennett nods home Gosport's third goal. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (121315-6)
Ryan Pennery netted for Moneyfields. Picture: Neil Marshall (171026-11)

Trophy dream is over for Moneys

Have your say

Alex Pike has hit out at his Gosport side despite their win over Stourport sealing a play-off place.

Borough netted a 4-3 triumph in the Southern League division one south & west clash at Privett Park on Saturday.

Dan Wooden, Adam Wilde, Justin Bennett and substitute Craig Feeney all found the net in the home victory.

It was a win which made certain of their position in the end-of-season promotion tear-up – and could yet safeguard a home draw in the semi-final.

But Pike was far from happy with his side’s lacklustre show against the Swifts, who prop up the table.

And he has called on his men to raise their game in the last two fixtures – starting at Mangotsfield next weekend.

‘I had a real go at the team during the interval,’ said Pike, whose team held a 2-1 lead at half-time.

‘And I got a good reaction from them for the first 20 minutes or so of the second half.

‘But then they turned the clock back to what was a near disaster earlier.

‘I, for one, won’t make excuses for them.

‘They know my feelings and I will be expecting far more effort and determination when we play our remaining couple of matches.

‘Yes, we took three very important points.

‘But I would have been far happier if the team performance had matched the result.’

Indeed none of the 300 fans who turned up would disagree with Pike, as it was the Swifts who were the better side for much of the 90 minutes.

The Borough boss welcomed Steve Claridge back but was without Gavin Jones and Lee Molyneaux – both injured – and Nathan Kirby, who was suspended.

And to make matters worse he lost Brett Poate through injury after just 14 minutes.

His departure came seconds after Wooden’s neat finish put Borough ahead.

But it left the hosts vulnerable at the back – with Stourport taking just 10 minutes to level the scores through Tim Jackson.

Claridge then had a fierce shot deflected into the path of Adam Wilde, who blasted the home side back ahead.

And soon after the break a Justin Bennett header from Dan Woodward’s cross made it 3-1.

Feeney replaced Claridge to net a fourth on 76 minutes.

But Gosport took their foot off the gas and let the Swifts hit back twice and set up a tense finish.

Lewis Pountney and Calvin Dinsley took advantage of sloppy defending to help themselves to a goal apiece and leave Pike fuming at the final whistle.