Portchester boss eyes green shoots of recovery

Matt Page was injured in Fareham's FA Vase win. Picture: Malcolm Wells
Matt Page was injured in Fareham's FA Vase win. Picture: Malcolm Wells
Theo Lewis scored for the Hawks in the 38th minute at Wealdstone. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Good show on the road as Hawks impress to beat Wealdstone

Have your say

AFC Portchester manager Graham Rix believes his team are on the way back to form after their 2-1 FA Vase win over Western League Bitton at Wicor Rec.

Andy Rinomhota headed the Royals into an early lead before full-back Rob Evans added a second at the start of the second half.

Bitton reduced the arrears 20 minutes before the end to set up a nervous finale.

‘It was a great performance and result for us,’ said Rix.

‘We worked really hard and we were more like our old selves.

‘The players showed a great desire and determination to win against a team who are at the top of their league.

‘Recently we have struggled but the players lifted their game.

‘It was a fine balance between playing our football and doing what we had to do to go through.

Fareham Town’s 2-0 FA Vase win over Fawley at Cams Alders was marred by a serious injury to young defender Matt Page.

The student was taken to hospital midway through the first half and was diagnosed with a serious damage to his left kidney.

After a goalless first half, the Reds made the breakthrough shortly after the hour mark with Jordan Neal blasting home from the right side of the area.

Wayne Boud fired a shot against the post before Liam Bradbury sealed the Reds’ passage into the next round with a last-minute tap-in.

An Alfie Rutherford hat-trick set Moneyfields on their way to a 4-0 win over Brockenhurst at Dover Road.

Sixteen-year-old Rutherford, recently released by Pompey, is quickly adjusting to life at Moneyfields.

Eighteen-year-old Ryan Pennery also got on the scoresheet – netting with his first touch after going on as a substitute.

In the Wessex League premier division, Robbie Tambling grabbed a hat-trick in Petersfield Town’s comfortable 4-0 win over Christchurch at Love Lane.

Andy Todd scored late on as Town made it four successive wins.

Meanwhile, Horndean sealed a 3-0 win at Verwood.

Dave Carter’s side eased to glory with strikes from Mark Smith, Gary Austin and George Davis.