Przespolewski winner provides tonic for Hawks

Alek Przespolewski netted last night for Hawks. Pic: Dave Haines
Alek Przespolewski netted last night for Hawks. Pic: Dave Haines
Ryan Pennery netted for Moneyfields. Picture: Neil Marshall (171026-11)

Trophy dream is over for Moneys

Have your say

A second-half strike from substitute Alek Przespolewski got the Hawks’ Skrill South play-off push back on track with a 1-0 win over Ebbsfleet United at Westleigh Park.

Przespolewski had only been on the field for a minute when he buried his low 76th-minute strike into the far corner of the net.

Hawks boss Lee Bradbury was delighted with the way his side hit back after losing to Staines on Saturday.

He said: ‘It’s the reaction I wanted and expected from my players.

‘I thought it was a gutsy performance and we showed good composure on the ball, especially in the second half.

‘We have achieved another clean sheet against a good side – and we were rewarded for our positive attitude when we sent on Przespolewski because we were looking to win the game.

‘He certainly knows how to sniff out a goal.’

Bradbury made four changes to the side that lost 2-0 against Staines.

Goalkeeper Benji Buchel, Pedro Monteiro, Dennis Oli and Scott Donnelly were recalled.

The Hawks boss also named new loan striker Matt Paterson, signed from Aldershot, on the bench.

But it was visiting captain Daryl McMahon who threatened first.

He flashed a volley wide in the opening minutes after Ryan Woodford headed clear.

At the other end, a neat flick from Christian Nanetti sent Dan Blanchett on a threatening burst down the right flank.

It looked promising for the home side until Donnelly saw his through ball easily cut out.

The game was being played at a hectic pace with both teams looking to get forward quickly.

Oli only lasted 16 minutes before limping off to be replaced by new-boy Paterson.

A first effort on goal for Hawks arrived on 23 minutes.

But Donnelly saw his fiercely-struck shot punched away by Preston Edwards.

United’s Billy Bricknell then smashed an effort wide, after his quick turn inside the box won him some room.

Paterson was looking lively and he diverted a low Blanchett cross past the near post.

The second half started quietly with defences remaining in the ascendancy.

Nanetti was trying to inject some pace into the Hawks attacks but was usually crowded out by one or two defenders.

Atangana picked out Ciardini with a glorious pass but the latter’s shot lacked any power to trouble the keeper.

On 75 minutes Przespolewski replaced Ryan in the home ranks.

The change worked immediately as, within a minute, the substitute broke the deadlock.

Monteiro headed a deep free-kick back across the area and Przespolewski buried a low shot into the far corner.

Ebbsfleet substitute Ben May sent a header wide of the post but the Hawks comfortably held out for a hard-fought three points.

Hawks: Buchel, Strugnell, Blanchett, Ryan, Woodford, Monteiro, Nanetti, Atangana, Oli, Donnelly, Ciardini. Subs: Paterson, Kabba, Cummings, Przespolewski, Jones.

Ebbsfleet United: Edwards, Howe, Palmer, McMahon, Mambo, Acheampong, Osborn, Rance, Thalassitis, Bricknell, Cook. Subs: Sessegnon, Corcoran, May, Huke, Hall.

Referee: N. Lugg (Chipstead).

Att: 501.