Rix’s Royals beaten after injury blow halts match early

Louie Castles, right, netted for Portchester
Louie Castles, right, netted for Portchester
Ryan Pennery netted for Moneyfields. Picture: Neil Marshall (171026-11)

Trophy dream is over for Moneys

Have your say

AFC Portchester slipped to a 2-1 defeat against AFC Bournemouth Academy at Wicor Rec in their final pre-season friendly.

The game ended 15 minutes early after a visiting player suffered a bad neck injury, following an accidental collision in the penalty area and had to be taken to hospital.

Graham Rix’s Porchester conceded two goals in the opening 18 minutes, before Louie Castles reduced the arrears before the break.

The hosts fell behind inside the opening 30 seconds.

A long forward ball caught out the static home defence and the Bournemouth striker easily lobbed the ball over advancing goalkeeper John Webb.

The hosts, who included summer signing Sammy Igoe in midfield, gradually began to grow into the game, though the visitors continued to control possession.

Bournemouth stretched their lead in the 18th minute after the Royals were slow to clear their lines.

Soon afterwards, Craig Hardy wasted a good chance when through one-on-one with the goalkeeper who saved.

The home side deservedly reduced the arrears on 22 minutes.

Elliot Ward threaded a good ball through to Castles.

The winger cut in from the right and fired his shot just inside the far post.

Home striker Hardy looked bright as Portchester made a positive start to the second period.

The Bournemouth youngsters, however, were soon back on the attack and Webb had to race off his line to collect a dangerous through ball.

Bartlett-Scott was looking threatening for the hosts and it took a well-timed tackle to stop him going clear.

The Royals made four changes on the hour mark, with substitute Joe Bye looking lively.

However, the match was sensibly halted 15 minutes before the end by the referee.

One of the Bournemouth youngsters went down with a serious-looking neck injury following an accidental clash in the area.

The player couldn’t be moved until the ambulance arrived.

So the referee took the decision to bring the game to an early finish.

AFC Portchester: Webb, Evans, Stone, Rhinamota, Audin, Moody, Castles, Ward, Hardy, Igoe, Bartlett-Scott. Subs: Noakes, Thomson, Sweeney, Woods, Bye, Thomas, Robbins, Bailey.