‘Ruthless’ Hawks crush Weymouth to progress

Ben Swallow netted for the Hawks. Picture: Paul Jacobs
Ben Swallow netted for the Hawks. Picture: Paul Jacobs
Theo Lewis scored for the Hawks in the 38th minute at Wealdstone. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Good show on the road as Hawks impress to beat Wealdstone

Have your say

Hawks boss Lee Bradbury was delighted to see his men respond to his calls for a more clinical touch with a ruthless 5-0 demolition of Weymouth in the FA Trophy last night.

The hosts cruised through at Westleigh Park after drawing the first match at Weymouth 1-1 on Saturday.

Three goals in the opening 23 minutes, two from Ben Wright and one from Brian Stock, put the Hawks on their way to an easy win.

Second-half goals from Scott Donnelly and Ben Swallow completed their passage into the second round where they will face Dover.

Bradbury said: ‘After the first game I asked the players to be more ruthless and they responded in terrific fashion.

‘We were a lot better with our decision making and finishing.

‘It was important we started well and the three first-half goals killed them off.

‘We didn’t take our foot off the pedal and went on to score more in the second half.’

The Hawks made two changes to their starting line-up with Dan Blanchett and Swallow replacing Warren Cummings and Nic Ciardini.

Bradbury’s men started well and striker Bradley Bubb saw his fierce 20-yard drive parried away by visiting goalkeeper Jason Matthews.

It didn’t take long for the Vanarama Conference South side to make their extra quality count against the Southern League premier division outfit.

They opened the scoring with a superbly worked 13th-minute goal.

Quick passing down the left released Blanchett on the overlap and after the full-back squared the ball, Ben Wright picked his spot in the bottom far corner of the net.

Five minutes later, Wright put the Hawks in total charge with a second goal.

Josh Huggins raced on to a lovely through ball, drew the goalkeeper and knocked the ball across to Wright, who fired into the empty net.

The Terras had no answer to the Hawks’ quick passing and on 21 minutes Stock added a third goal.

Wright went through and Stock outpaced the covering defender to slide the ball home from his low cross.

Eight minutes before the break Bubb was unlucky with a shot that rebounded out off the inside of the post and away off the goalkeeper.

The home side sent Ciardini on for Huggins at the start of the second period, while Wright, chasing his hat-trick, forced Matthews into a low save with a shot from outside the box and then fired into the side-netting.

The fourth goal was fortunate for Hawks when Matthews made an awful mess of a Donnelly free-kick in the 58th minute.

Donnelly’s effort from 35 yards looked harmless but the keeper allowed it to bounce past him and into the net.

And Swallow completed the rout smashing home a fifth goal, with eight minutes to go, after a Bubb shot came back off the post.

Bradbury was pleased with the work ethic of his side.

‘The team performance was pleasing with everyone working hard for each other both on and off the ball,’ he said.

‘We did all the right things and fully deserved the win.’

Hawks: Young, Strugnell, Blanchett, Stock, Dutton, Harris, Swallow, Donnelly, Wright, Bubb, Huggins. Subs:Connell, Hooper, Mullings, Ciardini, Woodford

Referee: D Ford (Lincoln)