Andronikou asks for council funds to help Pompey

Pompey midfielder Carl Baker Picture: Joe Pepler

Jackett: Baker has Pompey future

0
Have your say

ANDREW Andronikou has asked Portsmouth City Council if it could contribute funds to help Pompey.

At a meeting with council leader, Cllr Gerald Vernon-Jackson, and council chief executive David Williams, the Convers Sports Initiatives administrator raised the subject of whether the local authority could directly assist the embattled football club.

The men met at the Marriott hotel, in North Harbour, on Friday at Mr Andronikou’s request so he could provide an update on the administration of CSI and its effect on Pompey.

The meeting came as Cllr Vernon-Jackson said he would write to Prime Minister David Cameron to ask that HMRC’s winding-up petition be withdrawn.

He said: ‘We were talking about what is going on in terms of the administration of CSI.

‘Mr Andronikou is clearly not happy to be having to do this work again.

‘His inevitable question was “would the council put in money?” and I said no; the council doesn’t have any money.’

He added: ‘His job is to be working in the interests of the creditors and our interest is in safeguarding the football club and those two interests are not always the same thing.

‘What I’m absolutely convinced of is that David Lampitt and the people at the football club are working as hard as possible to try to find a long-term solution for the football club.’

Cllr Vernon-Jackson said that he also felt the Prime Minister should follow through on his words last week in the House of Commons, when he told Portsmouth North MP Penny Mordaunt he would try and help the club.

‘I think it is important that if the Prime Minister offers help that action follows that,’ he said.

‘He is the head of the government and HMRC is a branch of that government.

‘So if he tells them to withdraw their winding-up petition them presumably they have to do what they are told.

‘It would give Pompey more time and it would be the right thing to do, because we are not in this situation because of anything the club has done.

‘This is down to its parent company and is different than last time.’

Following a News-backed meeting of fans and city leaders two weeks ago, the CSI administrator has now agreed to meet fans’ groups trying to save the club, but no date has yet been set for this to take place.