Baker denies he wants Coventry return

Carl Baker in pre-season action for Pompey against Salisbury last Saturday Picture: Colin Farmery
Carl Baker in pre-season action for Pompey against Salisbury last Saturday Picture: Colin Farmery
Brett Pitman picked up a broken nose when scoring Pompey's opener against Fleetwood on Saturday Picture: Joe Pepler

Pompey bravery has seen many wounded refuse to quit action

0
Have your say

Carl Baker has distanced himself from reports that he wants a return to Coventry.

The Pompey midfielder, who has a year left on his current Fratton Park deal, took to Twitter to deny reports in the Coventry Telegraph that he is angling for a move back to his former club.

The paper claims a switch to the Ricoh would suit the 34-year-old, whose wife is expecting their third child.

They also report that Pompey ‘may be open to reaching an agreement with Baker’ so that he can return to the Sky Blues and be closer to home.

A source, meanwhile, stated that Coventry is ‘where he wants to be’.

However, Baker, who made 46 appearances for the Blues as they clinched the League Two title, has denied the claims.

In his Twitter post he said: ‘Just to clarify, I’ve not spoken with any clubs or newspapers.

‘I’m contracted at Pompey so unless I’m told otherwise I will continue to train and get ready for the new season.

‘Don’t no (sic) who the ‘source’ is but obviously knows more than myself.’

Baker played 182 games and scored 28 goals between 2010 and 2014 for the now League Two side.

Earlier in the summer, Coventry boss Mark Robins wrapped up deals for the Blues’ League Two-winning captain Michael Doyle and reserve keeper Liam O’Brien.

Both players moved to the Ricoh Arena on free transfers.