Birch looking to seal quick deal for club with Portpin

DETERMINED Trevor Birch
DETERMINED Trevor Birch
Brett Pitman picked up a broken nose when scoring Pompey's opener against Fleetwood on Saturday Picture: Joe Pepler

Pompey bravery has seen many wounded refuse to quit action

0
Have your say

POMPEY administrator Trevor Birch says Balram Chainrai could regain control of the club early next week.

Mr Birch confirmed the conditions of Mr Chainrai’s CVA offer were met after Liam Lawrence, the only remaining player on Pompey’s books, cut a deal to leave the club yesterday.

Discussions are continuing between the club’s administrators PKF and Mr Chainrai’s firm Portpin to finalise the takeover.

Mr Birch thanked Lawrence and other players for their support in ‘putting the club’s interests ahead of their own’.

He said: ‘They have all had to make very difficult decisions and been placed in an impossible position which wasn’t of their making.

‘This means that we have now successfully completed agreements with all of the first-team squad and met the major condition of the offer from Portpin, which formed the basis for the CVA proposal.

‘We will now aim to finalise our discussions with Portpin with a view to completing the sale of the club as soon as possible.

‘The intention is to push this through early next week in order to ensure that player recruitment can begin as quickly as possible for the start of the new season.’

He added the Pompey Supporters’ Trust bid remains ‘a fall-back position’.

It came as the dust settled on a dramatic day on Thursday as the trust received unanimous backing for a £1.45m loan from Portsmouth City Council.

Trust spokesman Colin Farmery said more fans pledging their support will boost the group’s efforts.

He said: ‘If it is confirmed that Portpin take over, and that hasn’t been signed yet, we would be seeking to hold a meeting as early as possible with the new owner.

‘We are ready to speak to Trevor Birch at any time he sees fit to discuss if he is getting nowhere with Portpin.

‘The one thing that can really help the trust at this time is for the fans who are on the fence to come forward.

‘I want to pay a huge tribute to the fans who have already made a pledge or given their support to what the trust is trying to do – without them we wouldn’t be where we are.’

The trust has raised £3m in fans’ pledges already but they will only be asked for the full £1,000, as part of the community share scheme, if the bid is accepted by the administrator.

Trust’s efforts will be boosted by Argyle fans

THE Pompey Supporters’ Trust’s efforts will be boosted on Wednesday night thanks to generous Plymouth Argyle fans.

Pompey will kick start their season away to the Devon club in the Capital One cup after the threat of liquidation this week was dramatically quashed.

Argyle fans will be raising cash on the night to help the trust’s bid.

It will come just days after the trust secured a major victory in its takeover bid – securing a £1.45m loan from Portsmouth City Council.

There will be a ‘fanfest’ area for away fans and 50 per cent of funds generated from the £5 entrance fee will go to the trust.

Football League fan of the year Sue Pollard, who raised thousands of pounds for Plymouth last year, will be rattling the buckets on the night.

In a show of solidarity, a call for all

four sides of Home Park to sing the Pompey Chimes will be made before the game.

Plymouth Argyle endured a similar period to Pompey after falling into administration in March 2011, with staff and players deferring wages.