Defender’s future still unclear

Pompey defender Tal Ben Haim takes his seat in the stand for the match with Palace
Pompey defender Tal Ben Haim takes his seat in the stand for the match with Palace
Chesterfield's Dion Donohue Picture: Jason Chadwick

Chesterfield boss confirms Pompey target will leave Spireites

0
Have your say

David Lampitt has again declined to lift the lid on the Tal Ben Haim saga.

Mystery surrounds the future of the Israeli international, who continues not to be part of Pompey’s first team.

Earlier this week, Steve Cotterill revealed he had been told Ben Haim could not be picked.

But, speaking at last night’s supporters’ meeting at Fratton Park, Lampitt refused to clarify the situation.

The Blues’ chief executive cited legal and employment issues for his continued silence on the subject.

He also would not reveal whether Pompey’s current highest earner was still being paid.

It means fans remain in the dark over the long-running saga.

Ben Haim has not featured for Pompey since May 9, 2010, although it is believed he is not refusing to play.

But Lampitt is hopeful a satisfactory outcome can be reached in the near future.

He said ‘This is a legal and employment issue.

‘I do not think it is going to do the club any favours at all to air it in public.

‘I want to find a resolution to it as swiftly as possible.

‘It is not appropriate for me to discuss it further and whether he is available for selection.

‘This is part of the legacy we inherited.

‘We are absolutely determined to do everything we can to sort out these legacy issues as best we can.

‘Sometimes that is very difficult but we have to iron them out.’

Lampitt was speaking to 200 fans in the Victory Bar at Fratton Park last night.

It was the first of a series of proposed quarterly meetings between the chief executive and fans.