Fans assured that Pompey takeover bid is still alive

Fratton Park
Fratton Park
Dion Donohue has signed a two-year deal at Pompey Picture: Colin Farmery

Pompey new boy’s out to continue rise

138
Have your say

POMPEY supporters seeking ownership of the club are reassuring fans that their bid is still firmly on the table.

The Pompey Supporters’ Trust says it has been locked in negotiations with administrators PKF and property developer Stuart Robinson, who has agreed to buy land around Fratton Park, since the new year.

And on Friday the trust will hold a meeting with Portsmouth South MP Mike Hancock, council leader Gerald Vernon-Jackson and council chief executive David Williams at the civic offices to bring everyone up to speed with what’s been happening.

Colin Farmery, spokesman for the trust, said: ‘We are still on what is a very long journey.

‘Negotiations and discussions have stepped up since the new year.

‘We are certainly not in a worse-off position.’

As previously reported, the purchase of Fratton Park itself is the subject of a High Court case, which was adjourned last month after a ‘change in terms’ emerged relating to a firm called REL, which is linked to Mr Robinson.

The next hearing is scheduled for January 15.

Talking about the recent delays, Mr Farmery said: ‘Quite often pauses give time for reflection and with reflection comes progress.’

‘As each day goes by we are getting closer to the end of that journey.

‘The end result is community ownership of Portsmouth Football Club.

‘We are urging fans to keep faith in what we plan to do, and that’s to create a club which everyone will be proud of.

‘We are still confident a deal will be made.’

Mr Hancock said: ‘I am still convinced that the trust is the only solution for the club.

‘We should be doing everything we can to make the trust’s dream a reality. It is made up of a band of people who have worked so hard to get to this point.’

Yesterday afternoon a private meeting was held between PKF and the creditors’ board.

The outcome of the meeting is not yet public, and The News understands the trust will decide what action to take next after details are revealed.