Pompey Portugal trip on hold

Paul Cook
Paul Cook
Pompey's Gareth Evans. Picture: Joe Pepler

Evans: Player talk has lifted Pompey form

  • Cook had mooted a Pompey three-day stay in Portugal
  • Players scheduled to return on Monday, June 29
0
Have your say

PLANS for a Pompey team-bonding stay in Portugal have been put on hold.

Paul Cook last month told The News he was keen to take his new-look squad abroad for three days.

Nothing has been booked at the moment, the second he wants us to push the button and book it we will

Mark Catlin

The Blues boss had pencilled in a Portuguese trip to occur before the first team returns for pre-season training on Monday, June 29.

However, Mark Catlin has revealed those plans have now been put on the back burner.

Although, the Blues’ chief executive insists the option remains open to Cook if he wishes to pursue it.

Catlin said: ‘Portugal was an idea floated by Paul. If he still feels that is the right thing to do he will be supported.

‘Nothing has been booked at the moment, the second he wants us to push the button and book it we will.

‘At the moment he is considering his options about it.

‘It will be down to Paul. He has talked about it but there have been so many other things going on at the moment that we haven’t had time to sit down and plan anything.’

A large proportion of Pompey’s pre-season plans had been arranged by Gary Waddock and Paul Hardyman, before Cook’s arrival as manager.

Initially, six summer friendlies were pencilled in – although, at present, only five have subsequently been confirmed.

In addition, there is a trip to Burnham on August 4, which will involve a Pompey XI.

The Blues have spent a week during each of the previous two pre-seasons at the Five Lakes hotel in Colchester, with their stays combined with local friendlies.

In the summer of 2012, Michael Appleton’s side stopped in Malaga for 10 days.