Brummie comic Andy Robinson honed his comic talents compering at a pub in Dudley.
He laughs: ‘The discipline of cracking funnies between bare-knuckle boxing and dogfights was an invaluable experience.’
Having toured the UK four times with Jo Brand, he’s also known for his infamous hybrid comedy, music, theatre and quiz nights at The Glee Club – Quizburger.
· When did you first realise you were funny?
I never like to realise anything. I like to attempt it, get bored and let my attention wander elsewhere. This reminds of the time when I first... what’s that over there?
· What would you be if you weren’t a comedian?
If I wasn’t a comedian, I would have come up with a cure for AIDS or cancer because that would be a good thing for the sufferers of these terrible diseases.
· Which three things make you laugh?
The YouTube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqphKlMv92A because its title is pretty much true.
A little look Steve Martin does when Bernadette Peters starts playing trumpet in the film The Jerk, though I still can’t define why.
Being tickled because it’s ticklish.
· What’s your favourite one-liner?
Winston Churchill speaking about someone or other: ‘He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.’
· Who’s your hero?
Guy Fawkes because he invented the sparkler
· See Andy alongside Nick Helm, Marlon Davis and compére Dinga at the Wedgewood Rooms tonight from 7.30pm. Tickets to the Wedge Comedy Club cost £8 from (023) 9286 3911, wedgewood-rooms.co.uk or on the door.