LIVING in a damp, mouldy flat is making life a misery for one young family.
Seven years ago Holly Strevens, 28, and her partner bought the new-build flat for around £125,000.
But a year in and the mould started to fester, says Ms Strevens, a mum-of-one, who lives in a two-bedroom flat at Staunton Place, a large housing development off Billys Copse, Leigh Park.
Seven years later, after three redecorations, Ms Strevens is at her wits’ end as the mould eats away at her wallpaper, windows, curtains, furniture and is even found in her airing cupboard.
This month, following a visit from officials from Barratt Homes, she received a letter informing her that the damp was ‘down to a lifestyle issue and not a defect of the property’.
She was advised to keep her home well-ventilated and wipe the mould off with a dry cloth.
Ms Strevens says she keeps the window vents open at all times and has a bathroom fan running all day.
She said: ‘It’s depressing. We are trying to make a home not just for me and my other half, but my daughter growing up.
‘For her to live in this, we have to make sure she does not touch it.
‘She’s had a cough since December last year which I am putting it down to this mould. I even found it in her Moses backet when she was eight weeks old.’
Ms Strevens, who has written to her MP, said she was so angry she could cry.
‘I’ve had enough,’ she said.
‘We want to sell up and move into a house in the area.’
Ian Wallace, managing director for Barratt Homes, said: ‘We have attended the property a number of times and have found no defects in any aspect of the build quality.
We believe we have done everything possible to identify any issues and have advised the customer several times on how they can minimise any damp problems with lifestyle changes.’
He said Ms Strevens had the option of taking her complaint to the National House Building Council.