Neighbours' annoyance as alarm rings at former bank in Milton for 24 hours

Residents say they are at their wits' end after an alarm at a former bank has rung for the past 24 hours.

Saturday, 12th November 2016, 1:50 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 5:15 pm
The former Lloyds Bank at 140 Eastney Road, Milton where the alarm has been ringing for 24 hours PPP-161211-123421001

The bell started to sound at the former Lloyds Bank in Eastney Road, Milton at lunchtime yesterday.

Neighbours say that despite calls to both the police and council, nothing could be done to stop the sound.

Sarah Atkinson, who lives next door, said the noise was so bad that it vibrated through their walls.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She said that her two young sons, aged 11 and 14, were also been disturbed by the sound.

The 48-year-old said: ‘It is very loud and can be heard outside on the street so people have been stopping outside and looking.

‘I don’t know what’s going on in there. My 11-year-old couldn’t sleep as his bedroom is right next to where the sound is coming from.

‘It is a nuisance and an inconvenience. It has got more annoying as it has gone on.

‘A car alarm sounding for half an hour is annoying but 24 hours is a joke.’

She called police on 101 yesterday evening and reported the alarm, even mentioning that there appeared to be a light on in the building, but they said they could not respond.

She has also called the council’s environmental health department with similar success.

Sarah has also been in touch with her ward councillors.

Cllr Will Purvis, who represents Milton, put her in touch with the out of hours service last night.

He said: ‘I think it’s disgusting. And it is disappointing that the council and police seem reluctant to do anything.’

The bank closed in April after 100 years and the building has been empty ever since. A planning application to turn it into a takeaway was rejected in August.

The News got in touch with the owner Thannon Al Mahrouq, who said he was unaware of the incident.

He said he was deeply apologetic to the neighbours and went immediately to investigate the noise.

He said: ‘Nobody has told me. I will be there within 10 minutes, I am sorry for the disturbance, I will apologise to the neighbours.’