No Smoking Day - top tips on quitting
As thousands of people ditch cigarettes on No Smoking Day, here ar some NHS tips on making sure you don't lapse.
1. Prepare for the day you quit and avoid temptation - make sure you don’t have any cigarettes, lighters or matches on you. Avoid the pub or other places where people around you might be smoking.
2. Download the free Smokefree app for mobile support wherever you are and get expert advice. Talk to your local NHS Stop Smoking Service, pharmacy team, doctor or practice nurse about stop smoking medicines that can help with nicotine withdrawal symptoms. You can find your local NHS Stop Smoking Service by using our postcode finder.
3. Remember all the reasons why you’re quitting:
Reduced health risks
Extra money in your pocket (our cost calculator will help you work out how much you spend on smoking)
Improved breathing and general fitness
An improved sense of smell and taste
Less stress and anxiety
Cleaner lungs and a stronger heart
1.Talk to someone - call a friend or relative to get some support
2. Go for a brisk walk - this will help clear your head and lungs
3. Stay busy - download the Smokefree app or play a game on your mobile phone
4. Drink a glass of water or juice - keep yourself occupied for those crucial few minutes
5. Change scene - just moving to another room can help, or step outside and get some fresh air
6. Last but not least, remember there’s never “just one” cigarette. Keep busy, and if you find a certain time of day hard, try a new routine. You CAN do it!