Havant - the old market town where Romans once trod | Nostalgia
For today’s then and now photographs we are looking along North Street, Havant, in the 1920s and today.
At the time the old photograph was taken North Street was the main road from Hayling Island to Horndean and then on towards London.
At the top of the street there was a level crossing over the railway line. It closed in 1937 when the station was rebuilt and the platforms lengthened over the former level crossing.
Behind the camera are the crossroads with the Roman road running east to west.
On the immediate left is the George Inn, one of many pubs found in the former market town.
Next door is Jones, the motor & cycle engineers who also carried out car repairs and sold Careless petrol. On the wall is an advert for Sturmey Archer braking systems.
The road on the right is The Pallant with a wine merchant on the corner. The shop on the left became The News office in the 1960s.
In today’s scene many of the buildings remain although the wine merchant is now Waitrose and traffic lights make for a safe crossing of what can be a busy street.