In times past the sight of a photographer was a signal for all the children in the street to appear as if by magic.
In the photograph on the right we have a charabanc outing about to set off from The Baker’s Arms in Henrietta Street, Southsea, in 1928.
Although the name still shows that of Blake’s, Brickwoods acturally took over this Gosport brewery in 1926.
Immediately below we see the Bold Forester on the corner of Albert Road and Fawcett Road about 1912.
The Portsmouth Corporation tram adds interest to this picture.
Electric trams operated in the city from 1901 until their demise in 1936 when the corporation introduced trolley buses as the preferred means of public transport.
The trolley buses remained in service until 1963 when motor buses took over.