This is the rather austere front of Thorngate Hall, Gosport, taken in 1898.
The old Market House on the beach at Gosport was built in 1812.
It was the main market centre and courthouse for the town but later became the subject for much criticism, being considered unsuitable as a place of assembly.
In 1884 a new centre, the Thorngate Hall was opened, thanks mainly to the generosity of Gosport merchant William Thorngate.
The Gothic-style hall stood until the 1960s when it was replaced by the town hall. The New Thorngate Halls, a community centre complex, was built later in Bury Road.