The smoking 300ft chimneys of Portsmouth power station were a prominent feature of the city’s skyline until 1977, when its generators were disconnected from the National Grid.
After demolition in the early 1980s, the Gunwharf Gate housing estate was built on the site.
The nave extension to Portsmouth Cathedral, which had been suspended in 1939 because of the war, was completed in 1991.
The picture here is a reminder of how those chimneys dominated Old Portsmouth.
From John Sadden’s Portsmouth Through Time (Amberley Publishing £12.99)