We’re looking at the western end of King’s Road, Southsea, where the reason for the drastic change was Hitler’s Luftwaffe.
Most of the shops in the photograph, taken about 1906, were lost to wartime bombing and after the Second World War the road was widened and changed to mainly residential use.
On the left is the Crown pub (with the first-storey bay window) just before Hide’s drapery store, where, famously, HG Wells was an apprentice. In later years it became Dunsford’s the drapers.
· From John Sadden’s Portsmouth Through Time (Amberley £12.99)