Five pictures today are devoted to the pier at Lee-on-the-Solent, which was opened in 1888 as part of the development of a new seaside resort.
It was 750 feet long and featured a bandstand and small pavilion on the pier head.
The photo on the right was taken on June 19, 1932, during a fire which destroyed the pavilion on the end of the pier.
It was thought to have been caused by faulty electrics and a group of fishermen who were trapped on the landing stage had to be rescued by speedboat.
The picture immediately below is a postcard sent in 1936, showing that the building was not replaced.
One of the photos in our picture package is a postcard scene taken from the roof of the pavilion at the end of Lee-on-the-Solent pier about 1914.
In the foreground is the bandstand and steps to the landing stage, while the narrowness of the pier deck is clearly seen.
On the right of the picture is the railway station, opened in 1894, but closed to passengers on the last day of 1930.
From Piers of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (Amberley £17.99)