Nowadays the thought of a slaughterhouse being built in Portsmouth would probably be met with raised eyebrows. Not so in 1925.
At a council meeting that year licences for five new slaughterhouses were granted.
They were to: Mr Pink for a slaughterhouse in Basin Street; Mr Hutchins for one in Mills Road; Mr Short for one in Berkley Street; Mr Hoar for one in Buckland Street, and Mr Cooper for one in Merry Row.
These were in addition to those that existed already on Portsea Island.