Most Portsmouth people would probably recognise the location of the picture on the right even without the caption.
It shows North End Junction in an undated picture and it is the grand villa in the background in which we are particularly interested today.
It was known as The Poplars and was owned by prominent Portsmouth businessman AW White who owned the furniture and storage depository on the right.
He was also responsible for setting up Portsmouth’s street tramways system in 1865, the first in Britain.
White was invited to name the road in which the main depot and head office was sited. He chose Gladys, after his daughter, who was born in 1883.
Gladys White trained as a nurse and during the First World War volunteered for service and went to work in France.
In 1918 Gladys was awarded the Albert Medal for rescuing wounded soldiers from a burning hospital, a true heroine.
Thanks to North End resident Calum Kennedy for the three pictures here.