A collection of bicycles, the odd clay pipe and lashings of snow.
It’s one of the most famous pubs in Hampshire, but there’s not a hint here of its real claim to fame, apart from its sign.
If we could see the other side of the stone memorial it would, of course, tell us that the field opposite the pub was the home of Hambledon Cricket Club from 1750-1787, the famed birthplace of cricket.
Both the old pictures hail from about 1905 and the shot featuring the cycles suggests that the pub might have been a refreshment stop for a club’s day out.
They come from Paul Costen, the Waterlooville photographer and collector (costen.co.uk) who took the other two pictures last winter when lazy, sun-filled days of cricket could not have been further from anyone’s mind.