Taken from outside the old Guildhall and council chambers, this view of High Street, Old Portsmouth in 1868 shows its neighbour, the Dolphin Hotel.
The hotel dates from the 18th century, but by the early 19th it had a theatre behind it.
This later became a dance hall and assembly room where smoking concerts took place.
On the far corner of Pembroke Road is John (later Henry) Groves’ butcher’s shop.
This became a branch of Smith & Vosper’s bakery in 1887 and was rebuilt in the 1950s following wartime bombing of the area.