Portsmouth street before council purge gives way to terrible traffic

Church Street, Portsmouth in 1962. Picture: Eddie Wallace
Church Street, Portsmouth in 1962. Picture: Eddie Wallace
Janet Cooper with her beloved retriever Trudy, left, daughter Elaine Markley and husband Frank

THIS WEEK IN 1995: Husband hunts for missing wife daily

0
Have your say

Looking across Church Street, Landport, in 1962, above, and to the left is Alfred Harris’s Fruit & Potato Mercants on All Saints’ Road. The junction in the distance is Nelson Road.

On the right hand corner, the shop with the sun blind is motor accessories dealer Parham & Sons, and across the road is the other Parham & Sons, a furniture removal firm.

Church Street in present day. Picture: Bob Hind

Church Street in present day. Picture: Bob Hind

This location is now the scene of endless traffic queues during the commuter hours and on Saturdays, especially when Pompey are at home.

The wall of All Saints’ Church to the far right can also be seen in the present day photograph, where three blocks of flats now give the residents fantastic views across the city, south to the Isle of Wight or north to Portsdown Hill.

Each block is named after a character created by Charles Dickens, who was born just yards from the church at 393 Commercial Road in 1812.

Nickleby House, Barkis House and Pickwick House were all built after the terraced houses were all torn down in the council purge of the late 1960s to demolish homes that were thought to be uninhabitable.