The hugely ornate Gosport station is pictured here in 1941, the atmosphere reinforced by the wartime barrage balloon high in the sky on the left, above the chimney stack.
The governor of the town in the 19th century would not allow the railway to enter the then fortified area and as a result the station was built half-a-mile from the ferry terminal.
The station was designed by Sir William Tite and comprised a stone and granite colonnade in Italian Tuscan style.
In the early days of rail travel passengers had to enter their names and destinations in a book. This was done in a book-in office, from where the term booking office was supposedly derived.