It might not be everyone’s idea of a waterworks, but in the early years of the last century this was how the people of Titchfield got their water.
Mains water did not arrive in the village near Fareham until 1922 and 1923 so until then the rural district council employed a water carrier, right.
He filled the bin from the pump and then went around the village with his container pulled by a donkey. The cost was one farthing for a two-gallon bucket of water.
The water carrier would ladle the water into a bowl before handing residents their daily needs.
This picture was probably taken about 1906 when, although some people had their own wells, the water was often not fit to drink.
Later the donkey was replaced by a bigger horse-drawn cart.
The notice on the pump read: Any person damaging this pump or wasting the water will be prosecuted. By Order, Rural District. Fareham.
The village pump was on the corner of East Street near its junction with the High Street.
The second picture shows The Square, Titchfield, the historic heart of the village with the Bugle Hotel on the right.
A market hall was built in the square by the 3rd Earl of Southampton in the early 17th century.
It was moved behind the Queen’s Head pub in 1810, but in 1970, it was derelict and was bought by the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum at Singleton, near Chichester.
• Both pictures come from the collection of Paul Costen, the Waterlooville photographer and collector.