Hitler’s bombs put paid to many of the fine old shops in King’s Road, Southsea. In the picture on the right the premises of Buswell and Co., cabinet makers can be seen about 1905.
The optician/chemist’s on the other corner was demolished shortly before the Second World War and replaced by King’s Chambers, reportedly the first steel-framed building outside London.
George Handley set up his drapery store in 1867 with one assistant and rapidly expanded.
At its peak, Handley’s employed more than 500 people and sold everything from handkerchiefs to cars.
The picture (bottom right) was taken about 1930, but the premises were destroyed in 1941.
The current building was opened in 1955 and taken over by Debenhams in the 1970s.
Pictures from John Sadden’s Portsmouth Through Time.