In this view we can see the tram route up Portsdown Hill. It ran alongside the A3 London Road on a reserved double track.
On reaching the George pub on the crest of the hill the track rejoined the carriageway as a single track in the centre of the road with passing loops. On reaching Waterlooville it ran on the grass verge, again with passing loops, to its destination at Horndean.
To the right of the white post in the centre is a flight of concrete steps that took passengers from there to the tram stop down to the London Road pavement. These are still in situ.
The service was opened to the public on March 3, 1903, and was abandoned on January 9, 1935.Picture: costen.co.uk