This marvellous view of West Street, Havant, in 1935 was taken from the tower of St Faith’s Church and shows a bus just about to leave for Hayling Island.
You can see Davies the chemists with a veterinary surgery next door, then comes the Dolphin Hotel, Home and Colonial Stores, Longs Cafe and finally the Central Garage – where the entrance to the Meridian Centre is today.
And while we’re up church towers, this photograph of Kingston Road, Portsmouth, was taken from the tower of St Mary’s Church in 1938.
It shows the tangle of tiny houses and streets, many of which still exist today.
Work is being carried out on the facade of the Museum Gardens pub and next to it can be seen the upper windows of the Fratton Fire and Police Station.
To the north, traffic is visible at the junction of Kingston Road and Lake Road with the Tramway Arms pub on the corner.
Much of the area disappeared with redeveloped to be replaced by high-rise flats.
Lake Road has been realigned and now enters Kingston Road opposite the nearest row of shops with white blinds. Still up high is this 1929 shot of Portsmouth Town Station (it didn’t become Portsmouth and Southsea until the 1960s).
It was taken from the top of the Guildhall portico and shows the goods yard and the high-level platform. Horse-drawn wagons can be seen in the goods yard.
In the middle distance is the old fish market built on an area now occupied by the civic offices.