An explosion of Asian flavours '“Â Lawrence Murphy
Spicy Thai vegetable and salmon saladÂ (serves four) One of the chefs who used to work for us came in for lunch last week after travelling around theÂ world.
He was particularly taken with theÂ flavours in Asia and told meÂ a story about eating in a restaurant (someone's garage) and endingÂ up in the kitchen beingÂ shown how hisÂ meal was prepared.Â
The same thing happened to Julia and I, in Thailand, and itÂ brought back memories of our travels.
4 200g salmon fillets
200g runner beans sliced
4 spring onions cut into matchsticks
1 carrot cut into matchsticks
100g mooli (or raddish) cut into matchsticks
1 red chilli
Dessertspoon coriander seed
4 cloves garlic chopped
Small piece galangal root chopped (or ginger)
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons soya sauce
Juice threeÂ limes, teaspoon sugar
1. Blanch the beans in boiling water for three minutes and then run under cold water to cool.
2. Mix the bean, spring onion, mooli and carrot together.
3. Pan-fry the salmon fillets skin side down for twoÂ minutes and transfer to an oven 220c gas 7 for eightÂ to 10 minutes.
4. Put the rest of the ingredients into a liquidiser and blend for twoÂ minutes.
5. Pour half the dressing over the vegetables, mix and put into four bowls.Â
6.Â Top with the roasted salmon and spoon over the rest of the dressing.