Pick-your-own sweet nutty treat '“Â Lawrence Murphy
Foraging around the countryside and seashoreÂ I haveÂ been lucky enough to find some lovely goodies.
Sea beet andÂ purslane from the shore, wood sorrel, blackberry and mushrooms from the woods to name aÂ few.Â There are plenty of cobnut trees but I'm always beaten to their bounty byÂ the squirrels.
Fortunately Kent cobnuts are available atÂ our greengrocer. Buy them green when the centres are soft and sweet. After storing theyÂ harden andÂ becomeÂ nuttier.
130g sieved plain flour
100g shelled and chopped cobnuts/hazelnuts
1. Put the water, butter, salt and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Remove from the heat and beat in the flour.
3 Return to the heat and stir until the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan.
4. Put the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool.
5 Beat the eggs gradually into the mixture and put into a piping bag.
6. Pipe the mixture onto a greaseproof lined baking tray. You will need to pipe the mixture in aÂ circle and then pipe another layer on top of that one.
7. Sprinkle each ring with cobnuts and bake for 35 minutes in a pre heated oven 185c gas 5.
8 Allow to cool and fill with whipped cream and caramel sauce.