Sweet kernels of autumnal joy '“Â Lawrence Murphy
Plaice with sweetcorn, turmeric andÂ mussel sauce
Sweetcorn is the vegetableÂ that signalsÂ theÂ start of autumn.
The fields are full of them and farmÂ shops will be selling 10 corns for about Â£4, so great value too.Â
Look for green husks and firm, tightly packed kernels.
To freezeÂ the cobs blanch them in boiling water andÂ run under cold water to stopÂ sugars turning to starch.
Grilled and tossed in lashings of butter, it is one of life's simple pleasures.
2 corn on the cob (cooked and corn removed)
500g steamed mussels and cooking liquid
1 onion finely chopped
Half leek finely chopped
Stick celery chopped
TspÂ fresh turmeric finely chopped
TspÂ cumin seeds
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
200ml double cream
8 large plaice fillets
1. Put a knob of butter into a large panÂ on a medium heat.
2. Add the onion, leek, celery and garlic andÂ cook for 3 minutes without colouring.
3. Add the cumin and turmeric and cook for another minute.
4. Add the cooking liquid and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Pour in the cream and simmer.
6. Grill the plaice under a hot grill for 6 minutes until cooked.
7. Add the sweetcorn to the sauce and cook for 3 minutes,Â then addÂ the mussels.
Heat forÂ one minute and spoon the sauce into four bowls.
8. Add the plaice and serve.