We are in the middle of Emsworth British Food Fortnight which celebrates great British produce and the people making it.
There are plenty of local suppliers and winemakers showcasing their fabulous goods at the Emsworth farmers’ markets.
Some of the best British seasonal produce at this time of year has to be game and Hampshire supplies great pheasant, venison and partridge.
4 oven ready partridge
1 carrot diced
1 stick celery diced
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
600ml chicken or game stock
150ml white wine
Half hispi cabbage finely sliced
3 rashers streaky bacon cut into lardons
80g chestnuts cooked and chopped
Sea salt and pepper
1. Pan-fry the partridge in a knob of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil until browned all over.
2. Put the onion, carrot, celery and garlic into a oven proof dish that will hold the 4 partridge.
3 Cover the vegetables with the wine and stock and bring to the boil.
4 Add the thyme and 4 partridge.
5 Place in a pre-heated oven 200C (gas 6) for approx 14 minutes
6. While the birds are cooking blanch the cabbage in boiling salted water for 1 minute and then run under cold water. Once cold drain into a colander.
7. Once the partridge is cooked remove from the stock and vegetables to rest.
8. In a fresh pan cook the bacon until browning and then add the vegetables and stock from the cooking pan.
9. Reduce the stock by half and then add the cabbage and chestnuts
10. Warm through, season and put into 4 bowls.
11. Carve the legs and breast from the birds and place on top of each of the cabbage mixture.