Spring is finally here, and it looks like we’re starting to cook some lighter dishes.
INGREDIENTS – Stock
700g fish bones
Tablespoon tomato paste
1 leek chopped
2 onions chopped
2 sticks celery chopped
6 cloves garlic split in two
4 star anise
3.5 litres water
1 bay leaf
INGREDIENTS – Fish
4 x 200g halibut
200g brown shrimps
150 ml white wine
500ml roast fish stock
1 onion finely chopped
2 sticks celery finely chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
Dessert spoon tomato paste
Tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Place the fish bones in a roasting tray, add olive oil and roast in a hot oven for 15 minutes, then spread tomato paste over the bones.
2. Roast for another 15 minutes.
3. Move bones to a large saucepan.
4. Cover bones with water, bring to the boil and turn down to simmer.
5. Simmer for 2 hours, then add the other ingredients.
6. Simmer for another hour, then strain through a sieve.
7. Cool and measure out 500ml for this recipe – but keep the rest
8. For sauce, cook the onion, garlic and celery in olive oil for 3 minutes.
9. Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes before adding wine and saffron. Reduce and add fish stock.
10. Roast the halibut for 10 minutes.
11. Add brown shrimps, capers and parsley to the sauce; spoon over the halibut to serve.
n Lawrence’s restaurant is Fat Olives, Emsworth. fatolives.co.uk, 01243 377 914.