Plaice with sweetcorn, turmeric and mussel sauce
Sweetcorn is the vegetable that signals the start of autumn.
The fields are full of them and farm shops will be selling 10 corns for about £4, so great value too.
Look for green husks and firm, tightly packed kernels.
To freeze the cobs blanch them in boiling water and run under cold water to stop sugars turning to starch.
Grilled and tossed in lashings of butter, it is one of life’s simple pleasures.
2 corn on the cob (cooked and corn removed)
500g steamed mussels and cooking liquid
1 onion finely chopped
Half leek finely chopped
Stick celery chopped
Tsp fresh turmeric finely chopped
Tsp cumin seeds
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
200ml double cream
8 large plaice fillets
1. Put a knob of butter into a large pan on a medium heat.
2. Add the onion, leek, celery and garlic and cook for 3 minutes without colouring.
3. Add the cumin and turmeric and cook for another minute.
4. Add the cooking liquid and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Pour in the cream and simmer.
6. Grill the plaice under a hot grill for 6 minutes until cooked.
7. Add the sweetcorn to the sauce and cook for 3 minutes, then add the mussels.
Heat for one minute and spoon the sauce into four bowls.
8. Add the plaice and serve.