Get fit and find fun this autumn
Don't let the end of summer spoil your fitness regime '“ there's never been a better time to give your body a pre-Christmas work-out.
It’s been an inspiring summer of sport: from Team GB at the Olympics to Andy Murray’s Wimbledon success, the thrills – and not so thrilling moments – of Euro 2016 to Chris Froome’s amazing Tour de France.
And now as autumn arrives, there’s never been a better time to take inspiration from our sporting heroes, and get moving. National Fitness Day takes place on Wednesday 7 September, when across the UK people will ditch the sofa in favour of celebrating fitness and physical activity. The event is aimed at encouraging us all to have fun and move a bit more, whether that’s hitting the gym, getting out and about or trying a brand new sport.
But National Fitness Day is just one reason to get more active this autumn. Here are 5 more:
1. Autumn is the perfect time to start a new fitness campaign. We’re on countdown to the festive season, start toning up now and you’ll be sliding into that party outfit, no sweat.
2. You’ll save pounds while working off the pounds. Join Meadowside Leisure Centre in Whiteley early for some great deals, including discount joining fees with nothing else to pay until 1 October. You’ll have use of the fully equipped gym where you can tone up and follow a personalised programme drawn up by expert instructors.
3. Your favourite fitness classes are back after the summer break. There are new timetables and new classes, so lots of opportunities to figure out your fitness plan, whether it’s pilates, yoga, body combat or Zumba. Can't fit them all in? Choose a gym near your office and redefine lunch hour!
4. The weather is a bit cooler, the days are shorter - it could all feel a bit glum. Joining friends and family for a workout or a game of badminton lifts the spirits and puts a smile back on your face.
5. You’re not alone. You’ll meet friendly, like-minded people who, like you, just want to tone up and get fit. Everyone is there for the same reason so you’ll share the journey.
To mark National Fitness Day, there are free sessions, ‘bring a buddy’ events and taster sessions at centres like Meadowside Leisure Centre.
Find out more about Meadowside Leisure Centre’s money saving offer by visiting their website http://www.placesforpeopleleisure.org/centres/meadowside-leisure-centre/ or calling 01489 577464.
Picture from Shutterstock