Can any older Portsea people answer this question?
There were once several streets behind Cumberland Street and well into what is now the naval base – Marlborough Row, Frederick Street, Gloucester Street, Brunswick Row, Orange Street and Unicorn Street. The original dockyard wall ran alongside Marlborough Row and Brunswick Row and along the rear of Frederick Street. In 1939 these houses were taken into the Dockyard and the wall extended to what is now Marlborough Gate to run alongside Bonfire Corner then around the back of Privett House.
Does anyone remember living in these old streets?