A little wire-haired terrier saved the life of its sleeping owner by licking her face to wake her after a fire had broken out in her Portsmouth bedroom.
The woman, Margaret Sturgess, 59, (pictured) who was staying in Paulsgrove, roused her mother, daughter and granddaughter from their beds, and the whole family fled downstairs to safety before the firemen arrived.
‘I had fallen asleep again. Suddenly, Boo Boo started licking my face and when I woke the whole room was full of smoke. It was terrifying,’ said Margaret.
‘I could feel myself being asphyxiated but I managed to get out of the room and shut the door.’
Firemen quickly extinguished the fire but the whole room was blackened by smoke. They were in action for more than half an hour.