Alarm saves women from fire

Headteacher  Colin Rainford and pupils celebrate a good Ofsted report at Hayling College     Picture: Chris Moorhouse

‘Absolute delight’ as Hayling College secures ‘good’ Ofsted grade

Have your say

A SMOKE alarm has helped save the home of two women after a fire started in the middle of the night.

A set of hair tongs which had been left plugged in set light to bedding at the home in Redlands Lane, Fareham.

The mother and daughter were able to flee into the street and raise the alarm at about 1.30am on Saturday.

Ten firefighters in two engines from Fareham fire station were at the scene and able to deal with the blaze in a matter of minutes.

Watch manager Ian Cambridge said: ‘Luckily the alarm sounded and both of the women were woken by that and able to escape.

‘They were outside when we get there and fortunately neither of them was hurt.

‘It just goes to show how important a working smoke alarm is. This could have been so much worse if it hadn’t been for the alarm.’

The affect on the property was mostly smoke damage.

The firefighters spent about an hour at the scene making sure it was safe and clearing the smoke.