Baby airlifted to hospital after barbecue burns

Picture: Malcolm Wells

Crash on A27 causing delays

Have your say

A TODDLER had to be airlifted to hospital after it was burnt by coals from a disposable barbecue.

The baby was taken by air ambulance from the beach, near the funfair, at Hayling Island following the incident at about 4.45pm yesterday.

South Central Ambulance Service spokesman James Keating Wilkes said: ‘A one-year-old had apparently fallen on hot charcoals. The family were having a barbecue on the beach and when they moved it some of the coals fell on the sand.

‘It seems the baby crawled on them.’

The helicopter, from the Thames Valley and Chiltern air ambulance service, took the baby to Southampton General Hospital for treatment.