Bird’s nest causes fire

One of the  more unusual rafts competing in the race was this Volkswagen Beetle

THIS WEEK IN 1975: ‘Water-beetle’ seen on Southsea beach

Have your say

A BIRD’S nest was believed to have caused a chimney fire in Titchfield.

Firefighters received a 999 call shortly after 7pm on New Year’s Day to reports of a blaze.

Two fire engines from Cosham fire station went to The Square.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘They just lit the fire and five minutes later the chimney was on fire.

‘It was almost out by the time firefighters got there.’