Blaze to blame for huge explosions in workshop at Lee-on-the Solent house

The scene of the fire in Cambridge Road, Lee-on-the-Solent. Picture: Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service
The scene of the fire in Cambridge Road, Lee-on-the-Solent. Picture: Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service
Portsmouth & Southsea railway station by Andy Cooper

LETTER OF THE DAY: Please tart up our railway stations

Have your say

EXPLOSIONS ripped apart a wooden workshop after fire took hold.

Flames ripped through the wooden building behind a property in Cambridge Road, Lee-on-the-Solent at the weekend.

It sparked two blasts which firefighters believe were caused by a fuel container and a tyre inside the outbuilding.

Smoke could be seen from as far away as Portsmouth as crews worked to contain the blaze and stop it spreading. It got to the roof of the house but a team of firefighters inside pumped water through a window to prevent it taking hold.

Resident Keith Page, 63, said he was hoovering when his wife alerted him to a loud bang coming from outside.

‘When I turned the hoover off I heard a bang,’ he said.

‘I then looked out the window and saw smoke.

‘I could see out the front and by that time a good crowd of people had gathered round to see what was happening.

‘My first reaction was “I hope my neighbours are all right”. I was a bit concerned.

‘You could see the fire had got on to the side of the property.’

The householder was in at the time but left the house after calling the fire brigade at 5.15pm on Saturday.

Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she felt her house shake and was concerned about what was going on. ‘I heard quite a loud bang,’ she said.

‘It was a bit of a shock. I was in the house and I felt the house shake.

‘I didn’t know what it was. I thought it was a firework that had gone off on the seafront and then I thought that perhaps it was a car accident.

‘I’m just glad the people living there are safe.’

It is believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault inside the workshop.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used four jets to put out the flames.

Crews from Gosport, Fareham and Portchester were all involved in the operation.

Gosport crew manager Paul Cambell said nearby residents could feel their windows 

‘When we arrived the workshop was ablaze and the fire had spread to the house,’ he said.

‘We went in to the house and no-one was in there.

‘Crews sprayed water through the window to stop the fire getting in, otherwise the whole property would have gone.

‘Our external crews used jets to control the fire on the outside.’

A fire investigation is still under way into what happened.

The owners of the property did not wish to speak to The News yesterday.